Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Do They Know it's Christmas Time at All?

I was driving home from work last night, listening to Christmas music and envisioning the upcoming day with my treasured family.   Then the song, "Do They Know it's Christmas?" came on.  I've heard it before, many times, but I've never really heard it, until now - and it made me feel small.

Back in 1984, a group of musicians got together and formed a "super group" to raise money for the famine that was happening in Ethiopia.  The song that came out of this effort was "Do They Know it's Christmas?" -


As I said, I've heard this song many times.  My thoughts have been, how wonderful of these bands to help people.  But it's never really driven my heart before.  But as I listened I thought about our society and the hustle and bustle and needless over spending to celebrate this season we call Christmas Time.  I thought about my own attitude and my own heart position.  It was an eye opener!





I was feeling a little disappointed (OK, a lot) that we didn't get that big bonus at work like we got a couple of years ago.  We just got a $100 - but I got a bonus.  I thought about that paycheck that isn't coming until Friday and there are still things to buy - But I get a paycheck.  And what are we going to bring to the Christmas meal?  We always have far more than enough - and we have a meal.



Then I started thinking not only about the people this song was written for so many years ago, but the people who are suffering today.  Not just in third world countries, but right here in our own U.S. of A.    More than 46 million people live below the poverty levels here (that is a family of four making less than $25,000 a year).   There are many families in parts of this globe that do not have something as basic as water!  And their children die.

OK - now that I've brought you down and depressed your holiday spirit, here's what all this spoke to me.  I have so much more than I think.  All of my basic needs are met in abundance and I have the love of an amazing family.  Christmas should be a time of reflection and joy for all the wonderful blessings we have in our lives.  And it should be a time to give - to share our abundance.


I encourage everyone to think about giving to an organization that helps families.  The Christmas giving trees you see at malls and churches, the barrels set out for toys and food - or even go on a global scale to help with water or teaching people to become self-sufficient.

Just think for a minute on what is spent on gifts that people don't really want.  Put that money to good use and then go hug your family.  Be grateful for all the little things we have and feel real joy in the Christmas season.









Here are some links if you're interested:

Heifer International provides an animal to women and teaches them how to grow that into an income to feed their families.   They in turn give one of their animals to another woman and the hope just keeps going forward.

Both Life Water International and One Drop are organizations that work to bring clean drinking water to entire villages.   Children die from bad water or no water at all.  These organizations are working to change that.

Save the Children supports families globally, including the USA.

Feeding America is an organization that focuses on the hunger issue in our own backyard.

Other ways you can help?  Donate to the local food bank.  Contact your fire department and ask where the nearest toy drive is.  Donate to a homeless shelter - coats, hats and gloves are needed this time of year.

But above all else, be grateful for the gifts you have in your life.  You can really only share the love and joy if you have it inside yourself.



Merry Christmas.





2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for reminding us of the true Christmas spirit. I love that song, but the message has to go through as more than just a pretty song. We’ve been engaged this year with our church’s food bank and it’s a great experience.
    I’m so glad you could join The Really Crafty Link Party, and happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post reminds us of what Christmas is truly about. Thanks for sharing on Sunday's Best.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your ideas and thoughts!