Friday, November 23, 2018

10 Things to do on Black Friday that Aren't in the Mall

I know some people absolutely love going shopping on black Friday, getting shoved and pushed by the crowds and coming home with deals on things they needed and didn't. But I am not one of them.



The first black Friday sale (called an after Thanksgiving sale back then) I went to was at a fabric store. They had lace for a penny a yard!! What a deal. I got there about 10 minutes before the store opened and saw a line starting to form. I got out of my car and got in line. When the door opened I had no choice but move - I was literally sucked through with the masses!!


When I went to the lace table I started looking at what they had. I found a really pretty cotton pattern that would go perfect on the doll I was working on. As I picked it up, it was grabbed out of my hand! "I saw that first!" I was told. Woah - Ok. You can have it. I found another one that was similar and when I went to pick it up, a hand came from out of nowhere, scratched me (literally drew blood) as she pulled the spool from me.



That's it. I didn't need any lace that bad. I left and have never gone shopping on the day after Thanksgiving since!

You too? Well here are some ideas of things to do to celebrate just being.

1.  Take a hike! There are beautiful places to go that aren't too long of a drive to get there in almost everyone's area.



2. Take a drive. If you're near the coast or a forest, just drive along the roads slowly and take in the beautiful scenery.



3. Bake some cookies. Who doesn't love fresh baked cookies and the way they make the house smell.



4. Sit down with some hot cocoa and plan your Christmas list. What do you need to do - what gifts do you need to buy?

5. Go to a movie. A matinee usually costs less and you'll find fewer crowds today. Have a box of popcorn while you're there.

6. Go to a park. If the weather is good, grill lunch there.

7. Read a book. Curl up on the couch by a fire or bundle up and sit outside with a good book. Loose yourself in it!

8. Get out the scooter and be a kid!



9. Bowling is a fun way to relax and avoid the crowds.

10. Find some wineries near you and go taste some wine. If you find a good one, bring a bottle home to have with dinner.



So there you go. You can make the Friday after Thanksgiving special without the crazy shoppers! Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. very useful indeed, I am not a mall person and this is totally wonderful

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your ideas and thoughts!