Monday, March 28, 2022

Naturally Dyed Easter Eggs

I love the look of rustic and natural. Easter eggs dyed with vegetables and spices have a muted color - and occasionally marbled. Sometimes you get exactly the color you were going for and sometimes you get surprised. Either way, its fun to do and the eggs come out beautiful!


The color egg you start with will effect the color you end up with. Brown eggs give a more muted look while white eggs are brighter. 

Want to try it yourself? Keep reading and I'll explain how I did it.



Start with clean, hard cooked eggs. Make sure they are dry. 


Prepare your dyes by boiling the color agent with just a bit of salt. 

The longer you boil, the deeper the intensity of the color. 

Using a jar or other glass container for each color, add about 1 Tablespoon of white distilled vinegar and two cups of the dye liquid. Add eggs and let sit 10 to 24 hours. The longer they eggs sit, the darker the color becomes. I let mine sit over night - about 10 hours. 


Remove the eggs from the liquid 


and allow to dry completely. Do not wipe them. 



Once they are dry, put a tablespoon or so of vegetable oil in your hand and 



gently rub it all over the egg. Let it sit a minute or two, then wipe off with a paper towel. And that's all there is to it!



Here are the colors:

Red - they say beets make red. I found them to be more purple. Raspberries made a nice reddish pink. Other options include hibiscus flower, elderberries, cherries or sumac berries. I've read that avocado will dye things red, but I've never tried it and I'm not sure what the chemistry of it is.

Blue - purple cabbage. Dried black beans are also a blue.

Yellow - Tumeric (1 Tablespoon of powder or the root)

Orange - yellow onion skins. 

Purple - grape juice (or beets)

Green - Spinach


Whatever you choose to dye your eggs with, be absolutely sure it is food grade and not poisonous. Some of the things used to dye fabrics may be natural but are toxic and should not be used on eggs. 





So get out your veggies, boil some eggs and have fun experimenting. 


Happy Easter!



We were featured!!

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks. It was fun experimenting with colors. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Great idea. Don't you just love coloring eggs? I think we never outgrow the fun of doing it :) Thanks so much for linking up at the Crafty Creators Link Party 12. Pinned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love all the colors of Easter. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Visiting again to say thanks so much for linking up at the Unlimited Link Party 74. Pinned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! This is so cool! So many neat colors from food items that may already be on hand.

    Alexandra
    OnRockwoodLane.com
    EyeLoveKnots.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The colors come out a little different every time you use them. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. CONGRATS Helen! Your post will be FEATURED at the Crafty Creators Link Party 13 where Grammy’s Grid is co-hosting with Life as a LEO Wife!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dee of Grammy's Grid is teaming up with me (Niki of Life as a LEO Wife) & choosing our features on Crafty Creators Link Party for the month of April. She has chosen your post as one of those features. Congrats! You will be featured on my blog, LifeasaLEOWife.com, on Thursday. You can stop by & grab your "I was featured" button to display on your blog. If you head over & follow me on FB or IG, I will feature you across my social media accounts (FB, IG, Twitter, Pinterest, MeWe, etc) over the weekend or just before next week's party. Let me know if you follow & I'll get you featured! Thanks so much for linking up with us! Your post is pinned on our Crafty Creators Link Party features board. By the way, I love this post & I can't wait to try it!
    XOXO,
    Niki ~ Life as a LEO Wife

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a wee bit behind!! Heading over to grab that button and thanks for the feature!

      Delete
  7. We are so excited to feature your Naturally Dyed Easter Eggs at our Full Plate Thursday, 583! Hope you have a fantastic week and come back to see us real soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm running so far behind - thank you so much for the feature!!

      Delete

I would love to hear your ideas and thoughts!