Monday, March 14, 2022

Bathroom Refresh on a Budget

 Our bathroom was old, outdated, and I was tired of it. But I also had a tight budget. Our water has a really high iron content, so everything turns yellow over time - and our bathtub was nasty. Redoing the floor was way out of our budget, as was replacing the iron stained tub and a few other things. So I went on a quest to find alternatives. 





The first thing was to research epoxy paint to paint the tub. It's old and will need to be replaced eventually, but until then, I just want it to look good. After stripping all the caulking, we found the source of the continuous mildew behind it. The faucet was leaking where the hose was attached from the old shower head. And the wood behind it was wet. First delay. We had to pull all the rotted wood out, seal the leak and then let everything dry out completely. Two days. 

After everything dried, we put wood filler in where the missing wood made a hole. And it also had to dry - another day. Now mind you, we have only one bathroom and only one tub/shower. And we can't use it right now. I washed my hair in the kitchen sink and did sponge baths. I much prefer a shower!



After everything dried we did the first coat of epoxy, then the second. It was looking good!! 




NOTE: Before you start mask off everything you can't take out of the room. There is a back spray from the epoxy that leaves a light coat on everything around it. Also mask yourself. Use a good quality painting mask to protect yourself from inhaling any fumes or paint. And be sure a window is open. After you are finished, leave the window open and turn on a fan, then close the door. It will take a couple hours to dry to the touch and to get the fumes out of the room. DO NOT INHALE THEM!!




And we had to wait another day. After it dried I rinsed it and proceeded with removing the shelves to paint them. But I didn't read the instructions very well. You need to keep water off the epoxy paint for 72 hours. Unfortunately, walking on it scraped some of the paint off. So we had to do another couple of coats. Two more days. But while it dried I worked on the painting. 

There had been some damage on the ceiling from a previous roof leak (thankfully we got a new roof!). So painting the ceiling was necessary - and really not fun! 

OK - Painting done. Now onto the rest. 

Did I mention I wanted to do the floor? But a new floor was too expensive. I'd seen the new peel and stick counter and wall paper and wondered if it would work on the floor. Before I started anything, I bought a small roll and put some on the floor, a wooden wall, and the vanity side to see how it looked and would hold up. Two weeks later, everything stayed on and actually looked pretty good. So I chose my papers and ordered them. 

I did the wooden paneled wall first. 


This was not as easy as I thought. I had to order a second roll because so much of the first was ruined when I kept wrapping myself it in. Well, here is what I learned.

Wash the surface down and let it dry completely. 

You need to have scissors, a plastic paint spatula (metal will tear the paper), and a sharp box cutter or exacto knife. 

Measure the length of the first strip, as you would with wall paper. These peel and stick have lines on the back so you can cut straight lines. 

Get all your tools handy, then peel back the first few inches only. Carefully place it so that it will stay even when you pull the rest off. Using the spatula, slowly and gently press the paper down, push out any air bubbles that form. Inch by inch, pull the backing paper off and brush with the spatula. Make sure each section is secured and bubble free before pulling anymore of the backing paper. Repeat the process until the whole panel is up. Using the exacto blade, cut into the edges and press down to seal. I used a dot of super glue on corners that wouldn't stick. Do keep in mind the paper can be removed, the super glue not so much!

Repeat the process with each panel until the whole area is finished. 



I was really happy with how it came out. Now onto the vanity.

Ah the vanity. This one really made me crazy. The corners are not easy and we have a magazine rack on the side the had lots of corners and edges. So piece by piece I covered the surfaces.

Start by removing all the doors and drawers and the hardware. Wash the surface of the cabinet it's self as well as the doors and drawers using just a touch of TSP or Dawn. Let them dry then sand them very lightly. 

Measure the paper to each section and place the paper the same as you did on the wall. The paper I used was much thinner than the other papers and tore really easy. After ruining a few pieces I was a little more gentle. And now the doors.



Cover the front of the door leaving about 4 inches around all the edges. Brush with the spatula to secure and remove all the air bubbles. Cut the corners with a V-cut, removing some of the paper. Fold over the sides, one side at a time, making sure it wraps around to the back. 

After the first side, fold the corner carefully. If you have cut it correctly, each side should lay on to the next creating a smooth corner.  Almost like wrapping a present. 

When all four sides are done, cut a piece for the inside of the door. You won't need overlap or corners. 

Repeat with all the doors. 

Do the drawers exactly the same, but you won't do the backside. 

Replace all the hardware and remount the doors. Add knobs at this time. I was extremely happy to be done with this. It was a pain!!

And now the floor. Yes, I used peel and stick wall paper on my floor. 



When choosing the paper, keep in mind what it will be going over. We had a vinyl that has a raised design. Those ridges will show through. My first choice was a small tile pattern, but it would not have worked with the ridges. I used it inside the cabinet instead. 

Paper chosen - remove the transition strip and anything else that sits on the floor. Following the same directions as the wall, start laying the panels. I did around the toilet first, using smaller strips. Then move onto the main floor. Overlap each piece a little to make sure you have even coverage. 

Put the transition strip back and I added peel and stick caulk around the edge of the tub. 



Along with all of the above, I added plants, 



a new shower head, a new bath mat and some new decorations and arrangements. 



Most of the decorations we already had or I used some old things and refreshed them with paint. I painted the brass "gold" parts of the light fixture silver and an old wooden tray for the back of the toilet white.



 I added a rack for my hair stuff to get it off the floor and some organizing drawers under the sink. 



And it is finished. I'm not thrilled with the vanity. I love the look, but I think the corners look sloppy. My husband thinks they look great. 



I'm happy with it!!



4 comments:

  1. Oh Wow!! You did an excellent job. I love the way the cabinets and focal wall turned out. Great job. Thanks for sharing @ #omhgww. See you next week. Pinned & tweeted if buttons are available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm pretty happy. It's all done with peel and stick wall paper!

      Delete
  2. Wow! It looks great!

    Alexandra
    OnRockwoodLane.com
    EyeLoveKnots.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. A little more work than I expected, but well worth it!

      Delete

I would love to hear your ideas and thoughts!