Monday, February 7, 2022

We Only have So Much Time - Can I Change my Annual Word?

 Back in January I wrote a post about my annual word and why I choose one. I chose kindness - 

But over the last month I've been thinking a lot about death and dying. I'm not afraid - I am simply so happy in the life I've been blessed with, I don't want to leave it or forget it. And that brought me to really pondering what happens when we die. An existential crisis of sorts.



There are so many philosophies that tell us our "spirit" goes on. Science has actually shown that an energy does leave the body when someone dies. Physics say we are merely organic and it all goes away when the body stops working. But which is the truth?

We all want to believe that we "go on" in some form after death. If we all go to heaven, it must be really crowded up there when you figure how many people there have been since the dawn of time. And if our energy just floats around the universe, what does it do during that time? 

Studies have shown that our "energy" changes during death. It's not an instant, it's a process. But I find it difficult to accept that any being with a consciousness just disappears, only to live in the memories of those that still exist. So I guess I choose to believe some part of us continues to exist. 

Either way, one thing is clearly evident. We only have so much time - and it's not nearly as much as you think it is. And as I ponder the reality of it all, I am struck by how much of that time we let go by worrying or being angry. So much wasted time. 

I want to make the most of every moment I have left. If we live to be 90 years old, we have less than 33,000 days - that leaves me about 8,800 days left (although I do hope it's longer). 

I want to remember to be in the moment. To let every experience wash over my soul and remind me what a treasure being alive is. I want to cherish the time I have with the people around me and to forgive anyone who has hurt or wronged me (anger is such a waste of energy).  

So I have changed my annual word of Kindness (although I will still work at spreading kindness), to a phrase -

Be in the Moment - We only have so much time...








10 comments:

  1. I was an Administrator in Assisted Living, and I loved this, especially the new phrase, because yes, we only have so much time (spend it wisely)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think we realize it until we start heading down the hill. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. So very true....cherish each moment. My word for this year is GRACE...but adding the idea to live each moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Grace - So much we can learn from it. Thanks so much for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Such a great phrase, and way of living!

    Alexandra
    EyeLoveKnots.com
    OnRockwoodLane.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful, thoughtful post. Thoroughly enjoyed this. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I appreciate your encouraging words and I'm glad you enjoyed the post.

      Delete
  5. Yes. I think it is allowable for you to change your annual word. Ha-ha. I find that at age 71, I spend more time thinking about dying than I did in my younger years. Like you, I want to use my time wisely. I'm aware that I have a finite amount of time left in this life.
    Carol
    www.scribblingboomer.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So comforting to know that I am not the only person that thinks like this. I find many people simply won't admit that they think about death as they get older. My husband is 11 years older and it's only now that I realize the age difference. Thanks for your comment and kind words.

      Delete

I would love to hear your ideas and thoughts!