Friday, February 11, 2022

I Don't have a Bucket List - And here's why...

 I do not have a bucket list. Although I have been a list maker all my life and a bucket list is simply another list. The difference is the to do list is far more likely to be completed than the bucket list. 

When I make my to do lists, I often put far too many items on the list than I can every complete in a day or a week. And at the end of the day when I don't have everything crossed off, I am disappointed in myself for not getting more done. The fact that I've done 14 of 20 is of no consequence. 

It is for the above reason I do not have a bucket list. There are many things I'd love to do before I die, but odds are, I won't. 

I'd love to travel the 50 states and experience each locations unique cultures and foods. I'd love to go to Ireland and explore the castles and faerie lore. It would be amazing to take an Alaskan cruise or sail around the Greek islands. But the reality is - I'm 66 years old on a limited income. The only way any of those things will happen is in the event of a true financial miracle. So why would I want to create a list I know I won't complete and then be disappointed in myself?


Perhaps if I had made a "list" when I was younger I might have done some of it. But again, what about those that never happened? Do they become a part of the regret list? As I ponder the idea of a bucket list of things I think I want to do (these things change as we grow and age by the way), I find myself thinking of all the things I have done in my life. 

Although I have not been to Mexico proper, I've spent a lot of time in Baja. I've been there as a missionary and as tourist. 

As a missionary, I've seen the devastation created from poverty and starvation. I've witnessed children near death from not having enough to eat. I've also seen the graciousness of the people themselves. 

We stayed a local family's home when we were doing work on an orphanage. We were given the most comfortable beds in their home and fed an incredible meal from their garden and the abundant seafood of the area. I learned how to eat the fruit of the prickly pear cactus. We sat in the evening, over coffee, listening to a lemon leaf being played between fingers and lips and it sounded just like a trumpet. 



And I've witness shop owners reaching out with kindness. My husband has a paralyzed vocal chord that makes him sound like he's got laryngitis. A shop owner pulled out a bottle of brandy and gave my husband some in a melamine coffee cup. "Drink - it will make your throat feel better". My husband's throat does not hurt, but the generosity and kindness was beautiful. 

I've been to Canada - a wonderful place that really isn't that much different from where we live. And I've visited 12 states, 13 if you count passing through one corner of Wyoming. I've been able to witness each area's uniqueness and the similarities. 

And more than just traveling, I've experienced the mountains, deserts, oceans and lakes. I've been blessed with an amazing family and a truly special friend base. 

So you see, I don't need a bucket list, I have an experience list. And I am grateful and blessed and thrilled to leave those impossible lists behind me. 



8 comments:

  1. I love your experience list, and have enjoyed a similar route!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have one either and I think it's quite silly for all these bloggers to post theirs. I too have an experience list. Been to lots of places worldwide, done and seen lots of things...none of it was ever on a silly list!! I like this post!! Thanks so much for linking up at the 25 and Done Link Party 9! 25 entries in 25 hours!! Shared on Fb, Pn, and Tw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was actually those other posts that prompted this one. So many things I read that seem to be trending, I wonder why? I'm enjoying a less planned adventure! Thanks so much for your encouraging words.

      Delete
  3. I don’t have a bucket list either, although my reasons are a bit different from yours. In any case, I love your experience list, and agree that it’s far more important. Sounds like you’ve had some wonderful experiences!

    Michelle
    https://mybijoulifeonline.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle - I think I've had some amazing experiences in my life. And I look forward to more adventure.

      Delete
  4. CONGRATS! Your post is FEATURED at the 25 and Done Link Party 10! 25 entries in 25 hours!! Entries shared on Fb, Pn, and Tw. Opens Feb-20 at 10pm. Closes Feb-21 at 11pm central time.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your ideas and thoughts!