Sunday, January 10, 2021

What do you need to be happy?

 The new year has certainly starting with a bang. But I am focusing on my new word - explore. I starting reading an old book I've had for years - Simple Abundance by Sarah Ban Breathnach (1995). Each day there is a short reading. Some just give you pause for thought, some ask you to do something. Yesterday the question was, What do you really need to be happy? Not want, need. A pretty deep question.

 

The first thing that came into my mind was the basic needs. Food, shelter, love. Yes we do need those things to survive and for those things I am truly grateful. But beyond that. What do I need to be happy? I wrote what came to mind as I wrote, but it's certainly a question that deserves more thought.


Today the reading was recognizing even the little things every day. Life is short and we never know when we'll be moving on. The author used the movie Our Town as an example of how we take things for granted. The heroine dies in child birth and begs to come back for just one day. In that day she realizes all the amazing things in every day that are wonderous and how we are so busy with unnecessary peripherals, we miss it. 

“Let's really look at one another!...It goes so fast. We don't have time to look at one another. I didn't realize. So all that was going on and we never noticed... Wait! One more look. Good-bye , Good-bye world. Good-bye, Grover's Corners....Mama and Papa. Good-bye to clocks ticking....and Mama's sunflowers. And food and coffee. And new ironed dresses and hot baths....and sleeping and waking up. Oh, earth,you are too wonderful for anybody to realize you. Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every,every minute? (Emily)”
― Thornton Wilder, Our Town


What is it that you need to be happy? How many magic moments have past you by as mundane? I'll let you know if I ever find the answer for myself and hope you take the time to ponder your own answers. 


4 comments:

  1. Hello, I realised what I need to be happy last year when I had to give up everything except an almost 20kg suitcase and arrived in a strange country with no plans and was locked down for 2 months. Fortunately I had my husband with me and it was exactly then that I need him in my life to be happy. Of course there are a million other things in life that we should celebrate and enjoy, but my husband is number 1. Thanks for this post, it gives us a lot to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I drafted a blog post some time ago but never finished it. It was about others who say they choose to be happy. IMO there's no such thing as choosing, either you're happy or you aren't, you can't choose to be. So many examples of why people can't choose to be happy but I'll not post them here, maybe it's time I finish that draft, huh? Thanks so much for linking up at the Unlimited Link Party 66. Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember watching the stage play "Our Town" in high school. And that speech by the central character Emily stuck with me. It's important to assess what we have and to be grateful for the pleasant experiences and close relationships that surround us. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Visiting again to say thanks so much for linking up at the 25 and Done Link Party 3. Shared onto Fb, Pn, and Tw!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your ideas and thoughts!