Thursday, March 18, 2021

Appreciate Yourself

 As I continue on the Simple Abundance Journey, I am learning to appreciate myself. I am discovering my authentic self and understanding what makes me who I am. 

Each of us come from different places. We've all had different life experiences and no one responds the same to any situation. As we travel through life, things happen. Things change us. Life is the journey. On the journey we all take that side track from time to time. Sometimes the side track turns out to be the perfect direction to go - and sometimes not. When it's the latter we can be left feeling shamed, inadequate, humiliated, confused and guilty. And we respond to these feelings in a myriad of ways.

Sometimes, someone who has experienced these things lash out at others to make themselves feel better. Have you ever been gossiped about or "stabbed in the back" by someone you thought was a friend? Yep. Me too. It hurts. And it puts a rift in your own self-esteem. For me, I found myself trying desperately to mend the friendship, to figure out what I did. 

But you know what, as I've been on this simple abundance path, I realize it wasn't me at all. These people are hurting inside of themselves and I was the catalyst to make them feel better. And this realization helped me to move on. And discover what's good about me. 

I am a good friend. I have compassion and care what someone is going through. I love to have fun and laugh. I've also learned to appreciate myself and not allow someone else to take away my joy. 

I am not perfect. Not in any way. I share too much. I trust too often even when it's clear I'm being duped. But that's simply who I am. 

My reading for yesterday tasked me with two things. Take a long hard look at my naked self in the mirror. Name ten things I like. And don't stop until there are ten. Then move to my personality. Ten things I like. 

It's much harder than you think - I'm about half way finished on both sides. I like my curls - my eyes - the way my feet look. I'm grateful for my compassion - my humor - my creativity. And I appreciate that I can really look deep and change things. 


Do you appreciate yourself? Start a gratitude journal. Write five things, every night, you are grateful for. But start with you. What are you grateful for about yourself? 

We are always evolving. And we can choose which way we go when we embrace who we already are, where we came from, and take joy in where we are going. 



Interested in taking the Simple Abundance journey yourself? 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your ideas and thoughts!