Sunday, May 23, 2021

Playing in Dirt for Mental Health

 Did you know that playing in the dirt is good for your mental health? Science says it is.

I've noticed over the last year, as I've working in my yard and planting seedlings, that my overall demeanor is different. I'm calmer. I feel less stressed. 


And when I miss a few days of dirt, I get tense and cranky. I've thought it was just the relaxing sounds and feels of being outdoors. But that's just part of it. 

Science has found microbes in soil that cause the brain to produce more serotonin, a neurotransmitter that sends information between the nerve cells. It effects mood and emotions to name just a couple functions. As you work in the soil, you inhale the microbes into your body and they do their thing in your brain.     



There are multiple articles (see below) that provide information on the science. They're pretty interesting. And knowledge is important, but most important things is, get out and get dirty. Ditch the gloves (unless you're working with thorny plants) and get that dirt on your hands! You'll feel so much better when you're done.



Here's a really simple scrub you can make to clean your hands with when you come in. A scrub brush will help get it out of the cracks and crevices. 


You need:

  • 2 cups of granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup dawn dish soap
  • 3 Tablespoons oil or coconut oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
  • 1/4 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
  • few drops of essential oil for fragrance (optional)

Mix it all together well. Store in a jar with a lid by the sink. 


Want to learn more?

Why dirt may be nature's original stress buster

Digging in the dirt really does make people happier    

Depressed? Go play in the dirt

Antidepressant microbes in soil: How dirt makes you happy


Now lets go get dirty!



1 comment:

  1. Love the sound of the after gardening hand scrub. I have a friend who would love it. She also is a firm believer in the healing power of digging in the dirt. Thanks for sharing with us at Creatively Crafty!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your ideas and thoughts!