Thursday, November 25, 2021

What is Thankgiving?

 When we think of Thanksgiving we think of pilgrims and indians. The first Thanksgiving was shared by the colonists with the local native tribe. The people of the Wampanoag Nation brought food and taught them farming in the region. In November of 1621, after a particularly successful corn harvest, both groups of people celebrated the success for three days. This came to be known as the first Thanksgiving, and sadly one of few peaceful interactions between the new arrivals and the Native population.

The second Thanksgiving was celebrated three years later after the end of a drought that threatened all the crops. The governor called for a religious fast - and days later they broke it with a celebratory feast. 

From this day on, the colonies each celebrated some from of "thanksgiving" - a feast celebrating the bounty of the harvest. In 1863 Abraham Lincoln called for an annual day of Thanksgiving to be celebrated on the last Thursday in November. Coming at the heels of the Civil War, he called for people to come together and heal as a Nation. 

I wasn't until 1939 that President Roosevelt moved the celebration up one week in an effort to stimulate the economy and kick off the holiday season. 

Personally, I like the Lincoln version of Thanksgiving, a time to reflect on our blessings and the people that matter in our lives. For me, the Christmas season doesn't start until the Saturday after Thanksgiving. 

As a kid, we always went to grandma's house. I come from a very large family on my dad's side. We all got together - aunts, uncles, cousins. As we all grew into adults, the gather moved to my cousins. And as our own extended families grew, the celebration moved again, but always with extended family and friends. 


Prior to Covid, we all gathered at my Niece's house, or sometimes at my sister's (our house is too small for the whole crowd!). It was quite a gathered crowd and everyone laughed an enjoyed the meal.


This year will be small - our daughter (in-law), a grown grandson, my brother, his partner and my husband and me. We'll have the traditional turkey and dressing - pumpkin pie (thanks to my brother!) - and we will go around the table, each of us saying what we are thankful for this day. 



And so on this day of thanksgiving, I am thankful for all of you. Each person who takes the time to read my posts and comments - each person who takes the time to step into my world for a brief moment. To you and all of yours, I wish a blessed and full day of Joy in Thanksgiving. 



1 comment:

  1. What lovely memories. How fun. I to remember Thanksgiving from childhood, gathering with aunts, uncles, cousins. I'm so nostalgic.
    Thank you bunches for sharing this with Sweet Tea & Friends this month my friend.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your ideas and thoughts!