Monday, December 25, 2017

My Precious Family - Merry Christmas


Amy Grant sings a wonderful song titled Heirlooms.  The lyrics of the first verse go like this:    
                 
                                               Up in the Attic
Down on my knees
Life time of boxes
Timeless to me
Letters and photographs
Yellowed with years
Some bringing laughter
Some bringing tears
Time never changes the memories, the faces
Of loved ones that bring to me,
All that I come from
And all that I live for
And all that I'm going to be.
My precious Family
is more than an heirloom
To me.

I used to sing this song in church every Christmas, and every Christmas it touched me deeper. My family has always been a huge part of my life, and, as I get older, I find I treasure them even more.  

Oh, we're not a perfect family, but we are just right.


My parents were fun. We always did a lot of things as a family - family dinners, barbecues, camping, and holidays. 


Me and Ma

Pop preparing the watermelon on a camping trip














Always the whole clan for the holidays.

Two of my beautiful great-nieces
And by the whole clan I mean all the cousins and uncles and aunts!

Me and sis with cousins Debbie and Ted
 Grandma and Grandpa with dad, Mike, Me,
Sis and Irv and Floyd the dog.














I have two siblings that are wonderful - my sister and brother. We actually like each other and look forward to our special "sibling Saturday". We may have tiffs from time to time, but they are always put behind us as the love never diminishes.
  
Sis, me and Mike
I have a husband that is far from perfect. He can make me madder than anyone else on this earth.  But I love him deeply. He has a great sense of humor, he can be thoughtful and he helps around the house! 
My husband, Dennis, with our daughter Erin and grandson, Brayden
Although we have no children together, I am privileged to be the step mom to his two daughters and son. From them there are awesome grand-kids.
Jeremiah, Makayla & Brayden - three of seven
And family isn't just those that are connected by blood. Families are those we choose to share our lives with - those special friends that we value. I have a friend I've known since Jr. High School - and that was 48 years ago! We've gone through periods of not talking and times of talking too much. We are polar opposites in some ways and totally connected in others. This woman is family to me. 



And so, as we celebrate this holiday of love come down from heaven, 



let’s look around at the love that sits beside us. 


Let's cherish each face and every hug.  Time never changes the memories...



Merry Christmas.





No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your ideas and thoughts!