Sunday, December 31, 2017

Fresh New Year of Adventure



So many people write resolutions on New Year's Day. Lofty plans to loose 50 pounds or read a book a week - and by the middle of February they have just about all gone by the way-side. At least that's what my experience is trying to have resolutions. One year I decided to "set goals". Trust me, that's just a New Year's Resolution with a different name!


Then, back in 2012, my friend Terri announced what her "word" for the year was going to be. I asked her what that meant? She chooses a word each year and that is her focus in the days to come. She reflects on that word and how it plays into her life.  Hmmm....



So in 2013 I chose a word. Success. I made a jar with a smiling face, called it my success jar and added notes to the jar each time I had a success. At the end of the year I pulled them out. Here are a few of them:
  • I lost 18 pounds
  • Although I completed my degree in 2012 - I walked in graduation with a BA - and a 4.0 GPA
  • I started grad school
  • Had my first, paid, photo shoot
  • Got a full time, permanent, with benefits job
  • Minimized our "stuff" - got rid of things we don't need and reduced the decorative clutter in the house!
In 2014 my word was Prosperity.  During that year we had several unexpected windfalls that caught up all of our bills and allowed us to take our first vacation in about 8 years!

2015 - I was on a roll!  I decided Momentum was the word for the year, keep it all going! The first half of the year was amazing. I finished my thesis and received my Master's Degree. We got to see our grandson graduate from the Oregon Youth Challenge Program.  But then I started to slip backwards.  My momentum was going the wrong way.  As I pondered this at the end of the year I decided I had to reverse that trend.


Enter 2016. Not a word this year. A phrase - Forward with Intention.

This was the year I learned that forward doesn't necessarily take you where you think you should go. Sometimes all the intention in the world doesn't carve your path. The journey takes twists and turns.  And when you go with them, there are some wonderful, unexpected treasures to be found. The intention comes into play by being content with the changes and finding new and exciting ways to move with them.

Then, 2017.  I thought a long time what word would represent 2017. I had ideas - things I wanted to do and questions about how to do them. Was this really the direction I wanted to go? Through a lot of deep thought I came up with Discovery.

Discovery can mean so many things! I was thinking discovery of new places - discovery of new ideas.  But my year became a year of discovering things about myself.

I discovered my health was not as good as I thought it was.  I had gained that 18 pounds back and then some! But I discovered a way not only to lose it, but to change my way of thinking about food.

I discovered I love training people! I love sharing what I know and learning from the participants. And in this, I discovered a new direction for my retirement.


And now we are getting ready to herald in a new year. As I ponder all the words I have chosen in the past and all of the things I want to do, I am beginning to see life as an adventure. My sister and I have a stance that we never get lost, we are just on an adventure. What exactly is an adventure? Merriam-Webster defines it as an Exciting or Remarkable experience.

So my word for 2018 - Adventure

Adventure - an exciting or remarkable experience. As we step into a brand new year, a brand new adventure, my "resolution" is to find something in each day that is exciting or remarkable. To meditate on this experience we call life and revel in the beauty of it all.

So happy New Year to everyone - May your days be filled with adventure!






I was featured at Oh My Heartsie Girl's Friday Feature Link Party!
Friday-Features-Linky-Party-Oh-My-Heartsie-Girl

4 comments:

  1. Helen, wow, how nice you have a new blog, I love it a great way to chronicle your adventures. Im glad I discovered your new blog, and I am featuring your post on Friday Features this week. Stop by and share more.

    Im inspired and found a word that will start my new year, "minimize our stuff", mostly my stuff....haha

    And I wish you all the best in your new adventures, Happy New Year!!
    Hugs
    Karren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Karren! I'm honored. It's not really a new blog - just one I've started working!

      Delete
  2. I hope that you have a lot of adventures in 2018. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your ideas and thoughts!