Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Are We Living in a Suspense Novel? COVID-19 and Life as We Know it.

It's pretty scary times right now. The world is shutting down and many are dying. So many people don't seem to want to take it seriously. "It's just the flu". My friend in Italy, two weeks ago said just that. He's changed his thinking now. This is a very dark time in our history.


I am 64 years old with high blood pressure and asthma. My husband will be 75 in a month and has multiple, serious health issues. I work in child care (which is not shutting down) and some doctors have said children can carry the virus even though few have gotten it (which is typical. Children carry lots of viruses that only us adults get). Child care is a virtual petri-dish of germs. And I'm torn what to do.

No child care is going to close voluntarily. They are living the same dilemma. Do we close to protect our staff or do we stay open to support those that are still working? No one can afford not to work - including me. But is it work the risk?

I believe we need to make sure safe child care is available to all the front line health and emergency response workers. These people are putting themselves on the line to help the rest of us. But as a child care worker, what I saw yesterday, was the majority of people who could have stayed home with their children. Not all, but many. And so we risk exposure.

Our center is working to try to let staff stay home who are in the risk categories, but as the manager, I'm not given that option. So what do I do?

My only option at this juncture is to pray a lot. Wash my hands a lot. Sanitize everything, a lot.


How are you fairing? Has your life been seriously disrupted and if so, how are you coping with it? Please share your thoughts. I really want to know.

Stay safe. Stay well. Hang tight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your ideas and thoughts!