Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Who is Marie Kondo (a late exploration of the concept)

Who remembers Marie Kondo? I kept hearing about this woman and her "organizing method". I haven't heard much lately, but I decided to look her up.

The KonMari method of organizing looks at categories, not rooms. Hmmm.


I'm intrigued. I'm working on some organizing right now. So I decided to, finally, see what this is all about.



Five year after the fact I'm reading some pretty interesting ideas - and I think they might work! It starts with six rules and five categories. The rules are simple -


  1. Commit to organizing.
  2. Imagine your perfect lifestyle.
  3. Discard first - and showing her cultural heritage, thank each item for serving it's purpose so well. (This process is really about getting rid of things you no longer need)
  4. Work in categories, not locations.
  5. Follow the correct order.
  6. Ask yourself if it brings you joy.
You need to do it in order - by category - 


  1. Clothes (she even has a specific method of folding for space)
  2. Books
  3. Papers
  4. Komono (her word for miscellaneous items)
  5. Sentimental Items


If you really want to get into she has multiple books, but here is what I've gleaned and plan on using -

I'm in the midst of cleaning and organizing the guestroom that is also my office and craft room. I have a lot of stuff and not a lot of space. So I'm going to go through every item. I'm going to ask myself;
  1. Why do I have this? When did I and when will I use it?
  2. Is it sentimental? Why?
  3. Does it bring me joy?


I think if I use this process I'll free up a lot of space so that I can find the things I have and maybe actually use them.

You up for it? Let me know how it works for you!


We were featured on Grammy's Grid Themed Link up!! Check it out!



6 comments:

  1. I think a lot of people are hoarders to some degree. I like things neat and organized but with a husband who likes to collect things, it's hard. Thanks so much for linking up at A Themed Linkup 90 for Cleaning and Organizing. Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - We have OUR bedroom and my husband has his own room for all his collections and projects. Over the last few years we've been actively "de-cluttering" - he's starting to really get on board with it! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Visiting again to say thanks so much for linking up at the Unlimited Link Party 65. Pinned again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for hosting!! I know it's a lot of work and it is sincerely appreciated.

      Delete
  3. CONGRATS! Your post is FEATURED at A Themed Linkup 91 for Genealogy from the previous linkup for Cleaning and Organizing.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your ideas and thoughts!