Monday, October 3, 2022

Monday's Musings #6 - Count Your Blessings

 As I sit here on my couch on this chilly Monday morning, I contemplate spending the last week and a half with only one hand and anticipating another six weeks of it after tomorrow's surgery. You have no idea what you need to hands for until suddenly you don’t have them. Chopping a  tomato, pulling up your pants, sweeping the floor, or folding a blanket.


We take so many things for granted until they’re gone. I think about people who are born with one hand or who suddenly have lost a hand or an arm. The frustration that they must feel has to be overwhelming. And yet so many of them simply grab the bull by the horns and do what they have to do to get on with life.  I’m inspired by people like that.

I’m also finding myself very reflective of all the wonderful things I have. I am relatively healthy for a 67-year-old woman (Except for being extremely clumsy). I have a wonderful home and husband and family. I have a huge yard where I can work in the garden. We have a roof over our head, heat in the winter and cool in the summer. We have food in our bellies. And if we turn off the TV and all social media, we live in peace and tranquility. We’re surrounded by nature, our cats, and wonderful things that we’ve made for our home. 


There’s so much in life to be thankful for and I think it’s really important to remember to be thankful before we’re dealing with the loss of something. 

Take a look around you today. Take a look at everything. And start counting your blessings.



9 comments:

  1. This is a great reminder to count my blessings. Good luck tomorrow and over the next few weeks!
    xx- Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's easy to feel grateful when life is good but when disaster strikes, gratitude is worth the effort😶
    I hope you'll get better soon💕

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are million percent correct, we should count our blessings. Wish you speedy recovery after surgery and my prayers for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you had a successful surgery and you're well on your way to a full recovery. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When we're having troubles it's hard to feel blessed, although I know I am blessed beyond being able to measure it. I was so miserable when I broke my ankle. With the arthritis and fibro, I wasn't even able to use crutches. A walker a bit and wheelchair a lot. Thank the Lord it all healed properly but it sure took a while. Here's to a speedy, painless recovery for you. Thanks so much for linking up at the Unlimited Link Party 88. Shared.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So true. I fell and broke my right wrist and right ankle summer 2021 and for sure you're exactly right. Luckily I'm left handed, but I still had great difficulty. It was definitely a time to pause and reflect upon all I'm thankful for. Praising God for his blessings.
    Thank you for sharing this blessed message with Sweet Tea & Friends this month.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gratitude goes a long way to lift our outlook. I commend you for walking through the challenges and coming out a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's amazing how much we take for granted in this life! Even a little twinge in a toe is a major annoyance, I can't imagine not using a hand!

    Feel free to share at My Corner of the World.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your ideas and thoughts!