Sunday, January 26, 2020

Spouses Day

After re-reading my last post, it seems appropriate that today is spouse's day.


My husband started to get sick on Christmas Eve and continued to go downhill until January 13. We were in the emergency room, urgent care, getting EKGs and multiple lab tests. He was so bad he could barely tie his shoes.

Now let me give you a little history on my spouse - the love of my life. He has been a functioning alcoholic for many years. He knew his health was at risk but all the tests on his liver showed minimal damage. What he didn't want to hear was other organs are being damaged as well - including his brain.


On January 2 in the emergency room they found a major kidney infection that had gone septic. He was pretty sick. He was given fluids and some antibiotics through an IV. After a couple of days he started getting better, but he was still pretty unstable on his feet. He still needed help walking and dressing. A week later he started going down hill again. Back we go.

The kidney infection was still there. And they found his potassium levels way too low. Now, potassium is what signals your nerves and regulates the fluids in your body. His was way off. So now he's on stronger antibiotics, potassium pills, pro-biotics... And all he did was sleep.

Now I know you're probably asking, did he keep drinking? Well, at first he did. He went from drinking 6 to 8 beers a day to only one. He did that from Christmas until January 2. Since January 2 he's had none. Not a drop.

Fast forward to today. Yesterday we went out to lunch. It's the first time we've gone out since this all started. I was concerned about him wanting a beer with his food, but he had water. And while we chatted and enjoyed our food, I noticed his eyes weren't yellow anymore. His face was no longer ashen but had a little bit of pink color. And my heart smiled.



It's been a rough ride. The last few miles of it have been pretty scary. But I married this man in sickness and in health. I feared his needing help for anything had become our new normal. I thought our life is totally different. And now he's coming back. And he's coming back better. If he sticks with the abstinence for the long haul, it will all be worth it.

That is what committing to a spouse is. It's not going to be fun and giggles all the time. There are going to be rough times. Times you find yourself questioning. It's going to be sorrows and joys - and it's going to be an adventure.

 

 




I'm glad I'm on this adventure with my husband. I love you Dennis.







No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your ideas and thoughts!