Sunday, August 7, 2022

National Sisters Day

 Today is National Sisters day. It gives me pause to ponder, what is a sister? 

According to the dictionary it's female siblings from the same parents. For some, I guess that's the best definition, but for me, I'm so blessed that sister means more.



I am the middle child of three. My sister first, me, then my brother. I am so grateful we are close - all three of us. I am blessed.

As long as I can remember I looked up to my sister. She was so sophisticated and smart and pretty. And cool. My sister was always cool. I was blessed to have her to admire.

I'm not sure when it started, but I called her  sissy. Not by her given name, just sissy. When she became a teenage she asked me to stop calling her that. We compromised on sis - and to this day she's sis. 

Whenever I've had a problem, I always went to her first. Sometimes she'd chastise me - sometimes she'd sympathize, but always she'd hug me with her heart. I am blessed by that.

My mom died suddenly and unexpectedly. My sister was my support. My sister whose husband had been killed just one month before. My sister who supported her two young children, held me up. 

Mom was gone before my wedding. My sister drove over 1,000 miles to spend the days before and the wedding day with me. She cleaned my house and put all the gifts in a corner before she headed for home with her new husband and the kids. Her help was such a blessing.

Have we always seen eye to eye? Oh hell no!! We've had our share of aggressive arguments. And we're both passionate when we think we are right. But time has softened all that. As we age we see things with a different lens. We see what's truly important.

My sister is my best friend. She is my closest confidant. I love spending time with her, being silly and serious and philosophical. 

She is an extension of me in a different color. My sister - My friend. 



Did I mention, I am blessed. 

4 comments:

  1. A sister to love and lean on or help when she needs to lean, is a wonderful thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post! You really are blessed to have such a special relationship with your sister. My oldest sister is my very best friend as well, my closest confidant, and the keeper of my memories (I have a terrible memory, she has a great one, so I always consult with her to check the accuracy of mine!). I love that you call your sister 'sissy'. My sister has called me Sissy for as long as I can remember so that really made me smile! I generally respond to her with the shortened version of Sis though. I really enjoyed this post!

    Shelbee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When my sister became a teenager she asked me to stop calling her sissy - so I called her sis - and I still do. It sounds weird to call her by her name!! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

I would love to hear your ideas and thoughts!